Local events across the West Slope will highlight hydrology, forecasts for river runoff, local water projects, and funding opportunities.
Glenwood Springs, Colorado — After two years of virtual and hybrid gatherings, the Colorado River District will once again host in-person State of the River events across the West Slope throughout spring 2022. Twelve events across the 15-county River District will bring District staff, local partners, hydrologists, and water users together to discuss and address the most pressing water issues facing West Slope communities today.
Each State of the River event is hosted in partnership with a local organization, with each agenda designed to address local challenges and the regional issues affecting all Western Coloradoans. Cornerstone presentations will include river basin hydrology and water forecasts from state and federal experts, local water-related efforts by partner organizations, and opportunities for funding multi-benefit projects.
“Whether you’re an irrigator, angler, boater, skier, energy provider, or simply a West Slope resident, we all have a vested interest in water – it’s the common thread that binds us all,” said Marielle Cowdin, Director of Public Relations at the River District. “State of the River events not only bring water experts to your doorstep, they also bring the ear of the River District. Our staff wants to hear from you and understand your needs and concerns. Together, we can find innovative solutions for a hotter, drier future. We hope you’ll join us.”
All State of the River events are free and include a light dinner. Registration is required. Local events by river basin are below, with details to come for later dates. Find agenda details and RSVP links online at: www.coloradoriverdistrict.com/state-of-the-river-meetings-2022/
Gunnison River Basin Events:
- Ouray County – March 16 at the 4H and Events Center, Ridgway
- Partner: Ouray County Water Users Association
- Lower Gunnison Basin – May 16 at the County Offices, Delta
- Partner: Gunnison Basin Roundtable
- Upper Gunnison Basin – June 8 or 9 in conjunction with Gunnison River Festival, Gunnison
- Partner: Upper Gunnison Water Conservancy District
Yampa-White-Green River Basin Events:
Colorado River Basin Events:
- Mesa County – April 12 at Colorado Mesa University, Grand Junction
- Partner: CMU Water Center
- Garfield County – May 3 at Morgridge Commons, Glenwood Springs
- Partner: Middle Colorado Watershed Council
- Grand County – May 18 location TBD
- Summit County – May 24 at the Silverthorne Pavilion
- Partner: Blue River Watershed Council
- Eagle County – May 25th at Colorado Mountain College, Eagle
- Partner: Eagle River Water and Sanitation District
- Crystal River – May 26 at Redstone Church, Redstone