Colorado River District To Host Gunnison State Of The River
Learn more about water issues in the Gunnison River Basin in next week’s evening webinar
Montrose — Join the Colorado River District for the Gunnison State of the River webinar on Thursday, June 10 to learn more about current issues and successes in the Gunnison River Basin.
One of the major tributaries of the Colorado River, the Gunnison River is the lifeblood of some of the largest communities on Colorado’s Western Slope. The Gunnison provides water for diverse agricultural and livestock operations producing Colorado’s food, internationally renowned recreational opportunities, and critical habitat for native and endangered fish.
The Gunnison State of the River will address the health of the river and its tributaries, with an impressive slate of experts presenting on river forecasts, landmark accomplishments, project opportunities, and recreation within the Gunnison River Basin.
Highlights of next Thursday’s webinar include the Colorado River District’s own Dave “DK” Kanzer, Director of Science and Interstate Matters, who will present on the Lower Gunnison Project – an ongoing effort that has yielded exciting results for the basin. Special guest David Dragoo, founder of Mayfly Outdoors, will discuss the West Slope recreation economy and its impacts through a flyfishing lens.
- Welcome – Marielle Cowdin & Zane Kessler, Director of Public Relations and Director of Government Relations, Colorado River District
- Your Gunnison River, a Water Supply Update – Bob Hurford, Division 4 Engineer State Engineer’s Office, Colorado Department of Natural Resources
- The Lower Gunnison Project: Modernization in Action – Dave “DK” Kanzer, Director of Science and Interstate Matters, Colorado River District
- A Victory for the Lower Gunnison – Raquel Flinker, Senior Water Resources Engineer/Project Manager, Colorado River District and Ken Leib, Acting Director of the Colorado Water Science Center, U.S. Geological Survey
- Rivers on the Fly, Recreation Economy and Impacts – David Dragoo, Founder of Mayfly Outdoors
- Community Funding Partnership: Opportunities in your Gunnison River Basin – Amy Moyer, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Colorado River District
If you cannot attend the webinar live, register to receive a recording of the webinar for later viewing. The webinar is free, but registration is required. Register online now here: http://bit.ly/GunniSOR2021
The Colorado River District will hold the White River State of the River webinar, the final in the 2021 State of the River series, on June 15. For more information about upcoming events or to watch recordings of previous State of the River webinars, click here